Having backyard chickens, I can go through feast and famine with eggs. Some weeks my family can't get enough of them and the girls can barely keep up production and other times they are popping those eggs out like clockwork but the fam is kind of over it. So what do I do with all those egg-stra eggs?
One of my favorites is a serious good old fashioned pound cake. This cake is dense, it reminds me of the Polish babka cakes that I get to enjoy every once in a while. It's perfect for pairing with an evening cup of tea with your bestie. Or, pretty much any other time of day.
My favorite part is the massive amount of eggs that it takes up! Because my eggs are from my own chickens who get to free range - meaning they go out into my yard and eat up bugs and weeds - the egg yolks are an intensely glorious orange and are packed full of protein. The natural color of those yolks makes this cake a deep yellow without having to use any food dye. This cake is legit!
I also adapted this recipe to use doTERRA lemon essential oil. This reciepe doesn't require you use to lemon essential oil; in fact you don't have to use lemon at all, but I like the depth of flavor that it adds. If using essential oils isn't for you, substitute the oil for the zest of one lemon in the icing.
1 lb of sugar (3 1/2 cups)
1 lb of butter, softened (4 sticks)
1 lb of flour (4 cups)
1 lb of eggs (10 eggs)
4 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil
1 1/2 t almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl cream your 4 sticks of softened butter with 3 1/2 cups of sugar, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
3. Add one egg at a time to your butter mix. Mix well and scrape down the sides often.
4. In 3 stages, add the 4 cups flour to your mixture.
5. Finally, add the 4 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil and 1 1/2 teaspooons of almond extract.
6. Pour into a pre-greased 10 inch bundt pan.
7. Bake for 60 minutes, cover with tin foil and bake for a final 30 minutes.
8. Invert and allow to cool completely.
9. Glaze it! Recipe below.
1 1/2 c powered sugar
3T heavy cream
1 T light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 drops doTERRA lemon essential oil
With a high speed mixer, blend all of the ingredients together. It should be fairly thick. Pour over your cake and allow to set.