Friday, July 29, 2016

Blackberry Limoncello Lemonade

Don't forget to check out this month's Pierogie Mama sponsor -
shedding some light on one of the biggest early parenting challenges we all face!
______


So...I have roughly 5 acres of blackberries.

When we moved to our new home in April we knew we had a big job ahead of us in clearing out the overgrown blackberry bushes. My husband quickly convinced me that we need a tractor to mow all of this and I'm really glad I listened to him. I usually do, he has good ideas, even though it's tough to admit sometimes!

We've mowed strategically and have a few areas around the house that are providing prolific amounts of blackberries. I'm talking about easily picking over a pound of blackberries each day. The kids have been happy eating them plain for now, but I'm starting to become creative with the uses. That's where Blackberry Limoncello Lemonade came from.

Serves: 4
You'll need:
2 cups of washed blackberries (reserve a berry per serving for garnish)
1 cup of sugar
2 lemons, juiced (reserve a thin slice of lemon per glass for garnish)
Limoncello
5 cups of cold water
ice cubes

*Omit Limoncello for a virgin drink, increase recipe to the juice of 3 lemons.
*My tall glasses hold 2 cups of liquid, and I used one shot of Limoncello per glass for a light alcoholic drink or two for a stronger drink.

Directions:
1. In a medium sauce pan heat the blackberries and sugar until boiling. Using a spatula start to mash the berries to help release their juice. Remove from heat and allow to cool. I pour it into a shallow dish and place in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up the cooling process.
2. In a large pitcher mix the lemon juice, water and blackberry mixture.
3. Prepare each glass by filling with ice cubes, pouring the Limoncello over the ice and filling with the blackberry lemonade. Garnish with a slice of lemon and a blackberry.



8 comments:

  1. I love adding blackberries to anything (they grow wild where I live). Tea, juices, or kombucha, EVERYTHING tastes more summery with a bit of berry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of your acres of blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try this. Sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Limoncello, but have never tried using it in a recipe like this. I'll bet it tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink but the virgin option sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...