Monday, January 27, 2014

Pierogies go all Beastmode for the Superbowl!

This post is special to me in two ways -

1) pierogies. Duh!
2) Seahawks! Anyone living in Washington State (and pretty much the entire Pacific Northwest region) is living on a Seahawk / 12th Man high. This is the second time in the Seahawk's 38 year history, we're going to the Superbowl! We're known for our record setting loudness, thanks to our excitement for the team and the architecture of our stadium. 

This season has been the year of Beast Mode, aka Marshawn Lynch. He has been credited with the success of the team this year and has been the poster boy for Seahawk pride. His love for Skittles (aka: power pellets from his mama) is the inspiration behind many Seattle area restaurant munchies in preparation for the big game. Did you know that he's also the first athelete to be paid by the Skittles brand and they've released Seahawk colored Skittles?? 


And just like any other good Seahawk fan, I've prepared my own rendition of a Pierogie Mama family favorite - BEAST MODE PIEROGIES!

Making pierogies by hand is tedious work, friends. My mom and I keep up the family tradition of making them for holidays and special events, but for the every day I turn to Mrs. T's Pierogies. So I'm honored to share my collaboration with Mrs. T's and show you how any 12th man will appreciate these Polish delights by showing you how to make beast mode pierogies!



Note: Mrs. T's Pierogies can be served as a main or side dish. If you are serving them as a main dish, I recommend 6-7 pierogies per adult (a box comes with 12 pierogies).


You will need:
1 box of your favorite flavor Mrs. T's pierogies (we love potato and cheddar flavor)

Blue and green neon food coloring
a bag of skittles
1 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of sugar

You will do:
1. Bring 2 separate pots of water to boil, one colored with blue food coloring and the other with green. The exact amount of food coloring will depend on how much water you use, but I wanted to be sure that my pierogies were extremely colored so I started with 30 drops of food coloring. 

2. Carefully pour half of a box of pierogies into one pot and the other half into the other pot.
3. Bring them to a slow boil. They will float when they are done, but you may want to turn off the heat and allow them to soak in the colored water for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow them to get saturated with as much color as possible
4. Remove the pierogies from the pot using a slotted spoon when you're happy with their coloring.
5. Mix together the sour cream and sugar (this will make a sweet dipping sauce) and serve as a side - and don't forget those skittles!

These are pierogies that even Marshawn Lynch will mow down on - so get your Seahawk and pierogie pride on and serve these at your Superbowl party.. I bet you'll get a few questions about them!

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I just want you to know I really like your layout of your blog. I love non-cluttered blogs. Go Broncos!! (teehee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! Monique from Fantastique Designs (http://www.fantastiquedesigns.com/) is responsible for my awesome layout.

      Oh, and cheer on the Broncs all you want - they'll need it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Haha, these are awesome! In all honesty, I had no idea neon food coloring existed. (Guess I need to get into the baking aisle more often.) But I have to say, I'd make these in Blue and Orange for my home-town Broncos. ;) Hope you and your family enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheerleader outfit is so cute! And those pierogies are very colorful. My kids would love them!

    Erin K. (erinknack08@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the coloring run after cooking??

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...